Jul 18, 2013
Banana Bread Muffins. Vegan. Gluten-free. Oil-free. Sugar-free.
These muffins get their sweetness from the bananas and a few dates. The almond flour and the almond butter seem to be the key to adding (good) fat so no oil needed!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS flax meal mixed with 2 TBS water
- ¼ cup raw almond butter
- 3 LARGE bananas, ripe but not overripe
- 4 medjool dates, pits removed, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Prepare a 12-muffin tin (I used paper liners).
- Combine the flax meal with the water and set aside.
- Combine the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk well to incorporate.
- Mash the bananas in a separate bowl.
- Chop the dates as finely as you can.
- Add the dates, milk/vinegar mixture, vanilla, almond butter and flax mixture to the bananas and stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir gently to combine. Don’t mix it too much! The batter will start to puff up. This is good.
- Immediately scoop the batter into the muffin tin. I use a 4 Tablespoon Ice Cream Scoop (¼ cup) for muffins and it works great! You want to get them into the oven as soon as possible, so try to work fast.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the center muffins comes out clean. (TIP: rotate the muffin tin 180° halfway through baking)
- Cool and serve!
Makes 12 muffins. Enjoy!