Jul 31, 2013
What is turmeric? It’s that very bright yellow-orange herbal root that makes curries yellow. Turmeric is part the ginger family and has been a staple in Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian cooking for thousands of years. But there’s a lot more to this vivid root than meets the eye. It is known to be one of the most powerfully healing herbs on the planet…
Doctors at UCLA recently found that curcumin, the main component in turmeric, appeared to block an enzyme that promotes the growth of head and neck cancer. In that study, 21 subjects with head and neck cancers chewed two tablets containing 1,000 milligrams of curcumin. An independent lab in Maryland evaluated the results and found that the cancer-promoting enzymes in the patients’ mouths were inhibited by the curcumin and thus prevented from advancing the spread of the malignant cells.
“Turmeric is one of the most potent natural anti-inflammatories available,” Horwitz states in the paper.
He went on to cite a 2006 University of Arizona study that examined the effect of turmeric on rats with injected rheumatoid arthritis. According to Horwitz, pretreatment with turmeric completely inhibited the onset of rheumatoid arthritis in the rats. In addition, the study found that using turmeric for pre-existing rheumatoid arthritis resulted in a significant reduction of symptoms.
- 7-10 inches of fresh turmeric root, peeled and grated (most health food stores carry it and some Asian markets do as well)
- 1 quart fresh water
- 1 TBS tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- Place all ingredients into a large glass container, mix well and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain and serve. NOTE: the turmeric may stain your strainer! It did mine. I used a VERY mild solution of soapy bleach water to remove it.
- Eri Srivatsan, Ph.D., Marilene B. Wang, M.D., UCLA Johnsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, September 13, 2011.
- Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Nov;54(11):3452-64. Efficacy and mechanism of action of turmeric supplements in the treatment of experimental arthritis. Funk JL, Frye JB, Oyarzo JN, Kuscuoglu N, Wilson J, McCaffrey G, Stafford G, Chen G, Lantz RC, Jolad SD, Sólyom AM, Kiela PR, Timmermann BN.