Aug 01, 2013
What exactly are edamame beans? The Japanese name, edamame literally means “twig bean.” Simply, they are fresh, green, immature soy beans. Edamame beans are becoming more and more popular as a healthy food. You can commonly find them as an appetizer in Japanese restaurants and almost all supermarkets now carry them in their freezers.
Edmame has anti-inflammatory qualities and can be a good food to eat if you have arthritis or other inflammatory conditions. Fresh green soybeans, eaten as a snack or a side dish, may help people with asthma, because this vegetable decreases inflammation in your breathing passages, and this can reduce wheezing and coughing.
Edamame makes a great snack on its own, is very versatile in creating many dishes and is no doubt a healthful food to add to your diet.
- 1 bag frozen, shelled edamame (thawed)
- 4 heads of baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 TBS fruit-only apricot preserves
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Water sauté the onion until translucent. Simply place the onions into a medium-hot pan and add a bit of water. As the onion cooks, add small amounts of water to prevent sticking.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the sesame oil, and sauté until tender. Don’t overcook!
- Add the sesame oil last, tossing to combine.
- Serve as is or with some whole grain rice.
Serves 3-4. Enjoy!
- Soyinfo Center; Chronology of Green Vegetable Soybeans and Edamamé (Including Maodou) Worldwide; William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi; 2001
- “Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry;” Relative changes in tocopherols, isoflavones, total phenolic content, and antioxidative activity in soybean seeds at different reproductive stages; V. Kumar, et. al.; 2009
- Sharecare; What Are the Health Benefits of Edamame?; Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum
- Washington State University; Everything You Want to Know About Growing Vegetables in Kitsap County: Sweet Beans; Master Gardeners