Aug 29, 2013
Figgy Breakfast Bowl
I love fresh figs. And I’ve often pondered different ways of using them in recipes. But the same thing always happens. I see figs at the market, make a beeline for them and fill a large bag. I say to myself, “I really have to make a recipe with these.” Then I get home. And eat them all. Seriously! I can’t stop myself.
Well, finally, I did it. They didn’t last but a day in the fridge and I decided I’d make a fresh breakfast with them. Something different… I’m always looking for different breakfast ideas. So why not use them in a breakfast bowl with nuts and seeds and a fresh orange cashew dressing. Yeah. It’s good.
- 12 fresh figs, quartered
- ½ cup raw pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 TBS raw sunflower seeds
- 2 TBS raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 TBS goji berries
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1¼ cup orange juice (fresh squeezed is best!)
- 2 TBS hemp seeds
- Soak the goji berries in ¼ cup of orange juice for 1-2 hours until soft (you can simply soak them overnight if you like).
- Blend the remaining 1 cup of orange juice with the cashews in a high-powered blender until smooth.
- Toss the nuts, seeds, goji and figs together and top with the cashew dressing.
- Garnish with hemp seeds.