Aug 27, 2013
German Chocolate Mousse Bars. Vegan and Gluten-free.
I couldn’t wait to make these! I was poking around online for some new recipe ideas and saw Hello Dolly Bars, also known as Magic Bars. Have you ever had them? I haven’t so I have no idea what they taste like but I saw a photo of one (made with graham crackers, butter, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and, of all things, sweetened condensed milk) so I just had to create a similar recipe for you that is vegan and gluten free.
But instead of a dry and boring bar, I decided on a mousse bar. Why not? They’re rich and moist and delectably, sinfully yummy. And they’re not even too sweet with the use of date sugar and some melted dark chocolate (drool), making a healthful dessert or after-dinner treat. The almond flour crust, cashews and pecans add a good amount of plant-strong protein, too.
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/8 cup raw almond butter
- 2 TBS date sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ TBS flax meal + 1½ TBS water
~ for the middle (mousse) layer
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- 2 oz melted, vegan dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBS date sugar
~ for the top
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup raw coconut flakes
- 1 oz. melted chocolate
- Place all of the crust ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture comes together and forms a sticky ball.
- Press into a parchment-lined 6″ x 9″ casserole dish.
- Blend the cashews, date sugar, vanilla and water in a high powdered blender until smooth.
- Melt 2 oz. of the dark chocolate over a double boiler and add to the cashews in the blender. Blend again until incorporated.
- Pour this onto the crust and smooth the top as best you can.
- Top with the pecans and the coconut flakes. Press down lightly to make an even top. The nuts and the coconut should sink into the middle layer a bit.
- Finally, drizzle the top with another 1 oz. of melted dark chocolate.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours (overnight is best).
- Remove the entire block from the casserole dish using the parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife to slice into 8 squares.