Sep 30, 2013
Roasted Delicata Squash Soup. Vegan.
Sometimes you just can’t improve on nature. The delicata squash is PERFECTION. All on its own.
I used to say that butternut was my favorite squash. Not any more. Not since I tasted this divine work of nature. Where have you been all my life, Delicata? Your deep, nutty, sweet flavor and ultra creamy texture has captured my heart. Forever.
Okay, you get the idea. Here is the recipe…
- 2 cups tightly-packed roasted delicata squash (about 4 medium-sized squash)
- 1 large sweet potato, baked and skin removed
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Cut the squash in half, lengthways, remove seeds and brush a tiny bit of oil on the flesh.
- Roast, skin-side down, for about 45 minutes, or until the squash is fork-tender.
- Remove and let cool down enough so you can handle it.
- Place the cashews and ½ cup water into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Scrape the squash off of the skin.
- Add the rest of the water, the squash and the sweet potato to the blender and blend until smooth. The mixture will be quite thick. Add more water if you like, but it’s really best when it’s not watered down too much. If needed, blend in batches.
- Serve topped with a little crushed black pepper and some sliced sweet potato if desired.