Sep 04, 2013
Let the sun shine in with these delightful bean-based burgers. Fresh carrots, beets, garbanzo beans, herbs and spices create an extraordinary vegan burger that is so delicious and healthy, they will disappear as quickly as you serve them. How delicious are they? My meat-eating, picky-palate, teenaged son had FIVE. At one meal… and I wondered if he would like them at all. I was shocked!
- 1 15 oz. can no-salt added garbanzo beans
- 1 pound carrots
- ½ of a medium-sized beet
- 2 green onions
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 1″ piece of fresh, grated turmeric (or ½ tsp turmeric powder)
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- 2 TBS fresh chopped parsley
- 1 TBS fresh chopped celery leaves (or ¼ tsp celery seeds)
- 1 tsp tamari (optional)
|sunny colors in that food processor!|
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the carrots and beet into about 2″ pieces and steam until fork-tender.
- Place the garbanzo beans into a food processor and process until fairly smooth but still a little chunky. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- When the carrots and beets are tender, process these in the food processor. I processed them separately in order to maintain their color and not have a totally red burger from the beet. I still wanted to be able to see the lovely orange carrots in there!
- Transfer the beets and carrots to the bowl with the garbanzo beans.
- Add remaining ingredients and fold to combine.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour (or longer).
- Using a ¼ cup ice cream scoop, portion out the burgers onto the prepared sheet. Press each one down with your fingers, forming into a patty.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Makes about 14 burgers. Enjoy!
Healthy, sunny trails,