Oct 17, 2013
Banana Breakfast Bread Rewind. Oil-free, sugar-free, gluten-free.
I’m posting this recipe again. I made it yesterday morning and it was so yummy that I felt it truly deserved some better photos… it was one of my early posts when my iPhone was my only camera! I’ve called this a “breakfast bread” because it’s super hearty and contains many nutrient-rich ingredients. Most quick breads such as banana bread are really just cake. Which is fine if that’s what you’re going for. This is a lot more dense. It will stand up to toasting and it’s quite filling, too. It’s delicious plain or with some cashew cream cheese!
I use thick rolled oats for this recipe. If you have oat flour, I suppose you can use that instead but the consistency would not be the same. Oat flour is a more processed food with a finer grain. It’s easy to just put the oats in a food processor and make the flour that way. The consistency will be a bit course, which I think is what gives this bread such a great texture.
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant! thick cut is best, but regular would work fine)
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 TBS baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup goji berries
- ½ cacao nibs or chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 TBS flax meal
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 3 large, ripe bananas (they don’t have to be over-ripe)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 7 dates, pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 360° F.
- Lightly grease a standard sized loaf pan and set aside.
- Pulse/grind the oats in the food processor until you have a course flour.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add all remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place all wet ingredients into the food processor and process until well combined. Don’t worry if you still see some pieces of date in there. It doesn’t have to be super blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. The batter will be quite thick.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes before serving (if you can stand the wait!).