Oct 26, 2013
Creamy, Cheezy, Vegan, Cauliflower Kale Soup
It’s gettin’ downright COLD in these mountains. Time for some comfort food. Creamy soups are just the best in cold weather, don’t you agree? Especially when they’re loaded with nutrients, like this one.
Cauliflower and kale. You can’t really beat the combination of these cruciferous buddies. Cruciferous vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, other nutrients, and chemicals known as glucosinolates which break down into several biologically active compounds that are being studied for their potential anticancer effects. So not only is this soup extraordinarily yummy and warming on a chilly day, it’s good for you, too.
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled chopped
- 2 cups tightly-packed chopped kale
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 quart vegetable stock (see notes below and this post on how to make homemade stock)
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼-¾ cup soy milk, depending on how thick you like your soup
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TBS mellow white miso + ¼ cup water
- freshly chopped parsley and a little extra nutmeg for garnish
- Mix the miso with the water until it is smooth and set aside.
- Place all ingredients, except the cashews, kale and miso in a soup pot.
- Simmer on low until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender (about 30 minutes).
- When the veggies are tender, place the cashews and a bit of the soup broth (just to cover) in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining soup to the blender and blend again until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the chopped kale.
- Simmer until the kale is tender. If you want to, you can steam the kale separately ahead of time. It can take up to another 30 minutes for the kale to become tender in the soup.
- When the kale is tender, turn the heat off and take the pot off the burner. Let the soup cool a bit, then add the miso/water combination and stir well to combine.
- Garnish with some nutmeg and chopped parsley.
Serves 4. Enjoy!