Oct 13, 2013
Hasselback Everything Potatoes
I had never enjoyed one of these until I made them recently. I’ve seen them and always thought they made such a beautiful presentation. So I gave them a go. First batch… not so good. They were too dry on the outside and still not cooked inside. Second time was the winner. The addition of seeds, onions and garlic made them reminiscent (to me) of an Everything Bagel… a food of my past that I used to love. I don’t eat a lot of white potatoes, but this preparation was just too pretty not to try. So there you have it.
- 4 medium to large sized potatoes
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS finely chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 TBS dried onion flakes
- 1 TBS poppy seeds
- 1 TBS raw sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Wash the potatoes. I don’t peel mine.
- Slice a small bit of each potato off the bottoms so that they can lie flat without rolling around.
- Make slices in each potato about ⅕ inch apart. Do not cut completely through. You want to leave about ½ inch intact on the bottom.
- Place the potatoes in an oven proof dish.
- The next step is a little tricky. Since I don’t like to use a lot of oil, I only allot 1 TBS for all 4 spuds. So, carefully cover each potato with the oil rubbing some down into the slices.
- Bake for about 1 hour, depending on the size of the potatoes. You should be able to easily insert a fork through the center of one.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle each potato with the remaining ingredients. I used a spoon to gently separate the beautiful layers so that the ingredients would fall in between a bit.
- Bake for another 5 minutes.