Oct 11, 2013
Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Pumpkin Week: Day 4
- 15 oz. pumpkin purée (1 can or 1¾ cups)
- 3 cups carrot juice (freshly juiced is best, but you can easily find carrot juice in supermarkets now in the produce section)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TBS Bragg Organic Sprinkle seasoning mix
- 1 TBS curry powder
- 2 tsp tamari or other low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup raw cashews
- raw pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together in a pot, except the cashews and wine.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the onions are tender.
- Place the cashews in a high-powered blender and add some of the soup broth, just to cover. Blend until smooth.
- Remove the bay leaf, add remaining soup to the blender and blend until smooth. If you want to, you can just scoop out the onions with a slotted spoon and add them and about ¼ of the soup to the cashews in the blender and blend that. Then combine it with the remaining soup in the pot.
- Add the wine and simmer uncovered for about 10 more minutes to cook off the alcohol.
- Garnish with some raw pumpkin seeds and freshly grated black pepper.
NOTE: You can do what normal people do and serve the soup in a regular bowl. Or you can get all fancy-shmancy and serve it in pumpkin bowls… simply cut some small pumpkins in half and scoop out the seeds (save them for roasting!)… after you’ve had your soup, rinse the pumpkin bowls with warm water and then roast them to make your own homemade purée—recipe here!