Oct 22, 2013
T.J.’s Maple Walnut Blondies. Veganized & Oil-free.
Anyway, he starts unpacking this Joe’s sack and out comes a package of… Maple Walnut Blondies. Oh. My. That was cruel. I love blondies! So I took a whiff of the open bag… MAMA! That was it. I HAD to make some immediately… my way, of course—minus the egg, sugar and wheat flour. Yes. Yes. Yes! Mine are not as cloyingly sweet as Joe’s… don’t you love that expression? … “cloyingly sweet.” The judges on Chopped have a penchant for that term. I had to look it up:
cloy |kloi| verb [ trans. ] [usu. as adj. ] ( cloying)
Okay, I digress. These blondies are just as delicious as Trader Joe’s version… super moist and gooey, like a brownie/blondie should be, and just as addictive. You’ve been warned.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ cups chopped raw walnuts
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup raw almond butter
- ¼ cup raw cashew butter
- 2 TBS flax meal + ¼ cup water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp natural maple flavor
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix the flax meal with the water and set aside.
- Lightly grease a 9″ x 7″ baking dish.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine all wet ingredients, including the flax mixture, and stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. The dough will be VERY thick.
- Turn the dough out into the baking dish. Use a sheet of plastic wrap to press it down. It will be very sticky. Use a pastry and pizza roller if you have one to smooth out the top. Otherwise, just use your hands and smooth it as best you can.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 25 minutes until the edges are golden. Don’t overbake! You want that middle to be moist and gooey.
- Cool and refrigerate for a few hours before cutting.