Oct 15, 2013
Vegan Corn Pudding
My mom took to making this southern dish several years ago after she moved to Florida. My son, now 18, has always loved it. So I decided I would try some magic in the kitchen and veganize it. I left out the entire stick of butter that Mom uses as well as the sour cream and the canned creamed corn…
The result? Surprise! My son loved it (so did everyone else)… just as much! In fact he said, and I quote, “It’s just as good… maybe better ’cause I won’t feel bad after I eat it, knowing it’s healthy.”
I saw a handful of other vegan versions of this Southern holiday tradition online, but they all had lots of oil in them, too… vegan butter and the like. No oil needed in this healthy kitchen! It’s moist and so, so yummy. The dish is pretty sweet, though. But you can certainly decrease the amount of maple syrup, or leave it out altogether, if you prefer it to be more savory.
- 3 cups corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned–I used frozen and thawed)
- 2 cups non-dairy unsweetened milk (I used soy)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup + 2 TBS masa (corn flour)
- ¼ cup corn meal
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 TBS flax meal
- 3 TBS tapioca flour
- 1 TBS baking powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 TBS pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Grease a deep casserole dish. I used an 8″ x 8″ dish, about 4″ deep.
- Place the cashews and ½ cup of the milk in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Add remaining milk and blend again until smooth. If you don’t have a high-powered blender you can use any blender, just soak the cashews for about 5 hours prior to blending.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and mix with all of the remaining ingredients.
- Stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the dish and top with a little ground black pepper and paprika.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven to 350° F and bake for another hour to hour and 15 minutes. The casserole will rise, like a cake and become firm, then fall as it cools. You’ll know it’s done when it’s a little cracked on the top and the center isn’t wet.
Serves 4-6 as a side dish. Enjoy!