Oct 06, 2013
Vegan Pumpkin French Toast
So let’s get right to it, shall we?
- 8-10 slices whole grain bread (NOTE: the type of bread you use will greatly affect the finished product. I recommend using a dense, whole-grain bread such as Ezekiel. It must be strong enough to hold up to the batter, which is quite thick. Using a wimpy bread will result in mushy french toast.)
~ for the batter:
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups unsweetened soy milk, or other non-dairy milk
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup
- 1 TBS flax meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- pinch of ground cloves
- Whisk all the batter ingredients together.
- Set a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Dredge each slice of bread BRIEFLY in the batter. Don’t let it soak! It will make the bread too soggy.
- Cook until the bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook until the other side is also golden brown. If it looks like the inside is not cooking fast enough as the outsides are cooking, turn the heat down a bit.
Serve with whatever you like. I used maple cream cheese and some date syrup. To make the cream cheese simply mix ¼ cup of my cultured vegan cream cheese with 1 TBS maple syrup. See the recipe for cultured cashew cream cheese here!