Nov 27, 2013
Quick & Easy, Last Minute Thanksgiving Dish: Cranberry-stuffed Squash
Having unexpected guests for the holiday? Need something fast, easy and nutritious? Try these! They’re so simple to prepare and they make a wonderful, elegant presentation, too. I can’t take credit for this idea… I saw them pre-made at Whole Foods and thought it was such a clever way to prepare a beautiful holiday dish! Serve with some beans and/or rice for a complete meal.
- 3 small round squashes (I used acorn squash and sweet dumpling)
- 1 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 TBS date sugar (or other minimally processed sweetener)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 TBS fresh, chopped parsley plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice the squashes horizontally and, if needed, slice a small bit off of each end so that the halves can stand up.
- Scrape out the seeds and save for roasting or discard.
- Mix the cranberries, raisins, sugar, parsley and juice in a bowl.
- Fill each squash with the cranberry mixture (divided equally).
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for about 45 minutes until the squashes are tender.
- Garnish with some freshly chopped parsley.
Serves 6. Enjoy!