Nov 03, 2013
Rambro’s Veggies & Brown Rice
Sometimes we just need simple. At least I do. I’ve been having lots of baking adventures in my test kitchen lately (carrot cake, anyone? … still working on that one!). So I was really craving easy, quick and nutritious… like brown rice and vegetables. Doesn’t get much simpler than that, does it?
This dish was inspired by my brother (a.k.a. Rambro). Seven years my senior, with a genius I.Q., he has always been ahead of his time. In the early 1970s, he opened a health food restaurant in Key West, Florida. It may very well have been the first health food restaurant in all of Florida. When my mom and I went to visit him there, he made us a delicious mango milk shake that was absolutely amazing.
- 4-5 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3-4 medium-sized tomatoes, quartered (or smaller ones, halved)
- 1 can salt-free garbanzo beans
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of tamari or other low sodium soy sauce
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- Cook the brown rice (2 cups rice plus 4 cups water).
- Place the onions and spices in a large sauté pan with a little water and sauté until tender, adding more water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the peppers, cover and simmer until they are almost tender, then add the tomatoes.
- Cover again and simmer until the tomatoes are just heated through but not falling apart. The peppers and tomatoes will impart a wonderful juice, perfect for topping the hearty rice!
- Add some freshly chopped parsley and perhaps a handful of sunflower seeds for crunch when serving.
Serves 4-6. Enjoy!