Dec 23, 2013
Deviled Tomatoes Rewind
Monday already? Where did that weekend go?? I know where part of it went for me… I was busy hosting a lovely Christmas get together yesterday. Just some good friends, good food and a cozy day inside—and out of the rain. It was just lovely. AND, I decided to make a dish that I hadn’t made in a very long time; one that I posted in the early days of Helyn’s Healthy Kitchen. I made a couple of minor changes to the recipe and wanted to share it with you today.
These guys are a perfect alternative to deviled eggs. The tomatoes are stuffed with a nutrition-packed variation of hummus. It tastes so much like the filling of a deviled egg, you will be surprised! They are a breeze to make and look beautiful on any holiday table, or any time!
- 12 plum tomatoes (try to get them all the same size and not too big… about the size of an egg)
- 1½ cups (1 can) no-salt-added garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 TBS tahini
- 2 TBS raw cashew butter
- ¼ cup water
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp yellow mustard, low sodium
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp Kala Namak salt (adds that special eggy flavor)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- paprika and fresh parsley for topping
- Cut the tomatoes in half, lengthwise, scoop out and discard the seeds and pulpy flesh. Set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients in food processor and puree until smooth.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the bean mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika and top with chopped parsley for garnish.