Dec 13, 2013
Maple Pecan Bites. Vegan and Oil-free.
Christmas Cookies: Day 5.
These little one-bite cookies are just as yummy as they are cute! Maple and pecan… can’t ask for a better match and you can taste both in this darling concoction of minimal ingredients and maximal flavor. Super crunchy on the outside and soft and cozy inside.
You could easily replace the spelt with all-purpose gluten-free flour if you prefer.
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1 TBS ground flax seeds + 3 TBS water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup (Grade B is the best with more nutrients and flavor)
- ½ cup raw cashew butter
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pure maple flavoring
- Combine the flax with the water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place all wet ingredients, including the flax mixture, in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until you have a smooth dough. I used my hands to mush it all together.
- Separate the dough into 4 even portions and roll into logs 1″ in diameter.
- Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Slice the the logs into ½” cookies and place on the cookie sheet. Do not flatten.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
Makes about 56 bites!
Healthy cookie trails,