Dec 03, 2013
Vegan Sweet Potato Scones. Oil-free.
Wondering what to do with those leftover sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving? How about a batch of yummy scones? They’re great for a hearty breakfast or as an accompaniment to any dinner. The preparation method for these is exactly like making biscuits, so if you’re skilled at biscuit making, these will be a breeze. Otherwise, give them a try anyway. I’ve included easy to follow directions and a helpful tip that I never knew about when I first started making biscuits!
- 1 cup whole spelt flour + about ¼ cup extra for working the dough)
- 1 cup potato starch or tapioca or sorghum flour
- 2 TBS date sugar or other minimally processed sweetener
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- handful of dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (I used cashew milk)
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 TBS cashew or almond butter
- 1 TBS ground chia or ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Use a whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Be gentle and don’t overmix. Use your hands if you want to. That’s how I mixed it. You will have a pretty sticky dough (kind of like biscuit dough).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured table or board and knead a few times, adding more flour if it’s too sticky. Pat the dough down until it’s about ¾” tall.
- Cut the dough with a 3″ round biscuit cutter and place the rounds onto the baking tray, gathering up the scraps as you go and reshaping them to cut more (see notes).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and serve!
Makes 8 scones. Enjoy!