Mar 14, 2014
Citrus-infused Raw Kale Salad
If you’ve ever eaten a raw kale salad, you may have been dismayed by how hard it was to chew. Well, there are a few tricks in preparation that make it a more pleasant experience…
Firstly, make sure you strip the leaves from the thick, inner stem. Then, the leaves should be chopped into VERY small pieces. Using a food processor to do this makes the task very easy. And finally, coating the kale with some citrus juice and letting it sit for about an hour or more really softens those leaves and adds a wonderfully fresh flavor, too!
- 4 cups tightly packed, rough-chopped kale leaves
- 3 oranges
- 1 pink or ruby-red grapefruit
- 1 tsp vinegar of your choice (I used Trader Joe’s Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar)
- 2-3 TBS hemp seeds
- Place the kale leaves into a food processor, about one cup at a time, and pulse about 5-6 times until the leaves are finely chopped.
- Juice one of the oranges and mix the juice with the vinegar.
- Massage the orange juice into the kale leaves and let sit in the fridge for 1 hour or more. The longer it sits the softer the kale gets.
- Cut the remaining oranges and the grapefruit into sections and top the kale with them.
- Sprinkle the hemp seeds on top.
Makes enough for 2-3 people. Enjoy!