Apr 01, 2014
Vegan Caesar Salad to Live For! (nut-based dressing)
Thank you, Caesar Cardini, wherever you are! That’s the guy who created the famed Caesar Salad. I love him. No, I didn’t know him. In fact, he passed the same year I was born. But I love that he gave us this wonderful culinary treat. He was an Italian immigrant who traveled back and forth from Tijuana, Mexico and San Diego, California, running two restaurants simultaneously. On one 4th of July, he had so many customers that he ran out of his usual ingredients for salad dressing. Improvising, he created this stunningly flavorful dish, using what he had on hand and prepared the salads table-side—with a flair. The rest is history.
- 1-2 heads Romaine lettuce, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 2 avocados, sliced
~ for the dressing
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw pine nuts
- 1 cup water
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast, plus more for garnishing
- 1 TBS tamari or other low sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 TBS granulated or flaked sea vegetables, such as kelp
- Freshly grated black pepper and nutritional yeast to garnish
- Place all dressing ingredients into a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Toss the lettuce with the dressing until completely coated.
- Add avocado (into the salad or on top, up to you)
- Garnish with extra nutritional yeast and some freshly grated black pepper.
Makes a lot! Will serve about 6 as a healthy-sized side salad, or 2-3 as a main dish. Enjoy!