May 26, 2014
Easy Eggplant Ragù + a Quick Vegan Parmesan Topping
This is such a simple and fast dish to prepare. If you’re in a hurry or just don’t want to spend a bunch of time cooking a meal, pick up an eggplant on your way home. Most of us have pasta and a jar of sauce lying around, right? That’s all you need! Well, I also added mushrooms, onion and some fresh garlic for a little kick but you don’t have to since you’ll be using a pre-made sauce.
In Italian cuisine, a ragù (pronounced raˈgoo) is a meat-based sauce, which is commonly served with pasta. This eggplant version is hearty and filling. The mushrooms, if you add them, also impart a rich depth of flavor. The parmesan sprinkle is simply nutritional yeast mixed with equal parts of hemp seeds. Like I said, quick and easy!
|Parmesan sprinkle—nutritional yeast with hemp seeds, 1:1|
- 1 medium sized eggplant, cubed
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional but recommended)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil (optional)
- one 26-oz. jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I like Walnut Acres, low sodium)
|before adding the sauce|
- In a large pan, water sauté the eggplant with the onion, mushroom, basil and garlic. Add more water as needed to prevent sticking. When the eggplant and onions have become slightly translucent, turn the heat to low and cover the pan to speed the cooking and hold in moisture. Cook for another 15-20 minutes. You want the eggplant to be very soft.
- When the eggplant is tender, add the sauce and stir well to combine.
- Serve over whole grain pasta or rice.
Serves 4-6. Enjoy!