Jun 24, 2014
Almond Flour Biscuits. Vegan, Oil-free, Sugar-free and Gluten-free!
These biscuits are so moist and delicious! No oil or butter needed here. They’re a great alternative to those white-flour, no-nutrient, lay-in-your-belly-like-lead biscuits. No, they’re not as fluffy. Rather, you know you’re eating something good for you… a bit more substantial.
Anyway, go ahead and try these with a shmear of jam and some homemade cashew cream cheese! They also make a wonderful accompaniment to any savory meal. You won’t be disappointed.
- ⅓ cup unsweetened, plant-based milk (I used soy)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS flax meal + 4 TBS water
- 1 TBS agave, honey, brown rice syrup or maple syrup
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and sweetener to the milk, stir gently and set aside (it will curdle and thicken).
- Mix the flax meal with the water and set aside.
- Stir the remaining (dry) ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the flax mixture, the sweetener and the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Turn the dough out onto a cutting surface such as a large cutting board or a marble slab.
- Shape the dough into an oval, about ¾” tall.
- Work in more almond flour if the dough is too sticky, too wet, or otherwise misbehaving.
- Use a 2¾” biscuit cutter to cut into biscuits. You could also just use the ring portion of a mason jar lid.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.