Jun 22, 2014
Vegan BBQ LentilBall Sandwiches
I made a simple cabbage/carrot slaw to go with these. And also whipped up a quick barbecue sauce. You can use whatever BBQ sauce you like. You can also go all out and make a homemade BBQ sauce, like the one I have here on my blog: Smoky Mountain Barbecue Sauce. Any way you serve ’em up, these will be a huge hit! Finger lickin’, lip smakin’ deliciousness.
- lentil balls
- cole slaw
- BBQ sauce
- 6 whole grain buns
- sweet pickles (optional)
~ for the balls
- 1 cup red lentils + 3 cups water
- 1 cup cooked, short-grain brown rice
- 2 TBS ground chia seeds
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning
- 1 TBS smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 TBS brown mustard
- 1 TBS coconut syrup (or date syrup or molasses)
- Simmer the lentils with the water until tender. Let cool
- Using a fine strainer, push as much water out of the cooked lentils as you can, with a ladle or a large spoon.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate for several hours, overnight is best.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Shape the mixture into 1½” balls and bake for 40 minutes, turning once at 20.
- Assemble the sandwiches. You can coat the balls with the BBQ sauce first or just top them with the sauce when they’re on the buns.
Makes 6 sandwiches. Enjoy!