Jun 30, 2014
Vegan Grasshopper Smoothie ~ Alcohol-free!
Hello, Summer! And say hello to this divinely refreshing smoothie! When I became “of age”, my dad used to order me Grasshoppers whenever we would go out to eat. He liked his alcohol and did not like to drink alone. They were pretty mild, being made with crème de menthe and, well, heavy cream. Of course, I loved them. They tasted like dessert! The mint and the cream were so refreshing. And this smoothie is even more so.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh peppermint leaves*
- 2 cups mache rosettes (or substitute baby spinach)
- ¼ cup sweetener of your choice (I used honey, which I rarely use but thought it would be nice in this drink… yes, I am a “beegan”—a vegan who uses honey… sometimes)
- 2 cups ice cubes
*NOTE: It can sometimes be hard to find fresh peppermint. Many grocery stores have mint but it’s usually spearmint and would change the flavor of this smoothie considerably. If you can’t find fresh peppermint, substitute the mint leaves with 1 tsp of peppermint extract.
- Place the cashews and the water in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth.
- Top with a sprig of fresh mint.
Makes 2 refreshing smoothies. Enjoy!