Jul 23, 2014
Cauliflower Zucchini “Rice”
I’ve seen various versions of cauliflower rice all over the vegan webisphere but, hey, I still have an overabundance of zucchini! My plants are waist-high and still producing like crazy. And I think the zucchini adds a wonderful color to the dish, too. So here you go. A zucched up version of cauliflower rice. Thumbs up were also in abundance all around the table for this ultra-simple side dish!
- one head cauliflower
- one medium-sized zucchini
- one sweet onion
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- black pepper to taste
- De-stem the cauliflower, cut it into pieces about 3″ across and pulse in a food processor until you achieve small pieces, like that of rice. You can grate it by hand using the large hole side of a grater if you don’t have a food processor.
- Shred the zucchini. Again, in a processor or by hand.
- Dice the onion.
- Water sauté the onion until translucent, then add the cauliflower and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Add bits of water if needed to prevent sticking, but remember you will be adding the zucchini which is very wet.
- Add the zucchini and stir to combine. Cook for just another minute or two until the zucchini is warm. You don’t want the dish to be mushy. You want a little crunch in there!
- Take off the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast and the black pepper.
- Add some low sodium soy sauce or a pinch of salt if you prefer.
Serves 4-6 as a side dish. Enjoy!