Jul 15, 2014
Lemon Poppyseed Scones. Vegan, Oil-free and Grain-free!
Greetings, lovely readers! I am finally back home after a rather hellish trip to Florida. Long story, spare you the details… but the outcome is that my wonderful mama is now living here with us in the beautiful Smoky Mountains! Yes, I kidnapped her. It was a pretty bad situation she was in so we are all relieved that she will be here with us now and I am already spoiling her. If anyone deserves to be spoiled it’s my mom!
So we were gone for only ONE week and when we left, the garden was rather tame with nary a sign of any peas and only a few 3-4″ zucchini and yellow squash. I had harvested the kale and everything was manageable. This is what we came home to! Did I mention it was only one week that we were gone??? I harvested about a pound of sugar snap and snow peas, too. I think our soil must be pretty darn miraculous. The wonders of nature!
On to today’s recipe… Before we left, I made these scones. AH-mazing is all I can say. They are not too sweet, with a lovely lemony flavor and the chia seeds add a good dose of nutrients. They have a wonderful crumb and they’re not too dry like many scones tend to be.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- zest one lemon
- 1 TBS tapioca flour
- 2 TBS liquid sweetener of your choice (maple syrup, agave, honey…)
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS flax meal + 3 TBS water
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine wet ingredients and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and form the dough into a square about 3/4″ high.
- Cut the dough in half, in half again and then into triangles (see photo above).
- Separate the triangles, leaving about 1″ of room between each.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Makes 8 scones. Enjoy!