Sep 29, 2014
Curried Red Lentil Quinoa Burgers with Creamy Sriracha Sauce
Mmmmm….. these burgers are absolutely DIVINE and I couldn’t wait to tell you about them. If you’ve never used Indian spices in your cooking before, you really must. They add SO much flavor to any dish. Get yourself some curry powder and Garam masala and you’ll be amazed at what you can come up with!
The creamy sauce that I made for these burgers was a perfect compliment to those lovely aromatic spices, with just a little heat and a subtle, peppery flavor.
~ for the burgers
- 1 cup quinoa (I used a tri-color quinoa, which is why you see some dark specks in there, but any quinoa will work)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 TBS curry powder
- 1 TBS Garam masala
- ½ cup grated onion
- ½ cup chopped, red bell pepper
- 1 TBS chopped, hot chile pepper (or to taste, depending on how much heat you like)
- 2 TBS ground chia seeds
~ for the sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ¾ cup water
- 3 TBS sriracha sauce
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- Cook the quinoa with 1½ cups water. Set aside and let cool to room temp.
- Cook the lentils with 2 cups water until all of the water is absorbed. Again, when they are done, let them cool as you will need to handle the mix to form your patties.
- Combine all remaning burger ingredients with the quinoa and lentils. Mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form into patties. I like mine big, so they were about 3½” across and 1″ tall.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- For the sauce, simply blend all the ingredients together. If you don’t have a high powered blender, soak the cashews for about 3 hours first.