Sep 09, 2014
Sprouted Buckwheat Porridge with Raspberry Swirl
If you’ve never had buckwheat cereal, you must try it. It’s nutty and creamy… filling and nutritious! You owe it to yourself to experience this as a breakfast or a snack, warm or cold.
I got a little fancy and swirled in some raspberry puree with this and then topped with some fresh berries. Hey, get ’em while you can—berry season is almost over!
- 2 cups sprouted buckwheat groats
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 bananas
- 4 dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries plus a handful for garnish
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup (optional, depending on how sweet your berries are)
- Blend the raspberries with the syrup, if using, and set aside.
- Place the buckwheat, milk, bananas, dates and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth. You can leave some of the raspberry puree in the blender for a little extra flavor (and color) in your porridge. Simply don’t rinse the blender prior to blending the porridge.
- Swirl the raspberry puree in with the porridge and top with some fresh berries.
NOTE: What’s great about a high-powered blender (one of the many things) is that you can actually use it to warm whatever it is you’re blending. The friction of the blended ingredients creates some heat. So with this recipe, you don’t need to heat the porridge in a pot, just blend until warm. Of course, you can also refrigerate it and serve it cold.