Oct 06, 2014
Chai Chia Pudding
Well here is another chia pudding recipe for you. If you love chai spices, then you really must try this. Chia puddings are still the easiest and tastiest desserts EVER in my book, not to mention the amazing nutritional profile of chia seeds. And the season is right for some warming spices in my neck of the woods. It’s chilly in these parts as fall makes its grand entrance on the top part of our wondrous planet. We were a bit below freezing night before last!
One of the reasons I moved from a sub-tropical climate to the mountains was so that I could again experience the seasons. There is something about fall that makes me want to breathe deep, reflect on my blessings and snuggle up with my man. This season is a dichotomy for me. While nature is getting ready to hibernate beneath the cold ground, the fallen leaves and the coming snow, those brisk north winds are waking me up—blowing the cobwebs from my mind and giving me a new sense of purpose. Happens every year. Of course, the other benefit of the colder months (and to anyone within a mile of my house) is BAKING. My oven gets a workout in the fall and winter, that’s for sure!
But I digress. No baking required for this dessert. Did I mention it was easy? If you can stir, you can make chia pudding. Check out my other recipes for chia goodness in my recipe index. Anyway, on to the chai spice goodness of today’s post…
- 3 cups unsweetened, plant-based milk (I used soy)
- 10 medjool dates, pitted (or sub with 3 TBS pure maple syrup)
- ¾ cup chia seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- If using dates to sweeten, place them in a blender with one cup of the milk and blend until smooth, then add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the chia seeds and blend again until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the chia seeds.
- Stir every few minutes until the chia seeds are starting to thicken the mixture and are suspended in the milk evenly (about 10 minutes). Then spoon into whatever serving vessels you will be using.
- If you’re not using dates to sweeten, you can simply mix everything together in a bowl and follow the same directions as above with stirring every so often.
Serves 3-4. Enjoy!