May 13, 2015
Low-fat, Vegan, Nut-free, Cheddar Cheeze Sauce!
This sauce is the bomb. The taste is so much like aged cheddar cheese that it blew my mind! No, it does NOT have the same mouth-feel as dairy cheese nor cashew cheese because it’s missing all that fat! But it’s creamy and delicious nonetheless and if you’re watching your fat intake, it’s just perfect. AND it’s a whole food that gives you more veggies! Who can resist?
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 4 cups chopped), steamed
- 1 small red bell pepper, roasted and peeled/seeds removed.
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp mellow white miso (optional, if you’re minimizing your salt intake you can skip it)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer to a sauce pan and whisk to eliminate the air that got caught in it from blending. Heat until warm. My cauliflower had not cooled off totally when I blended, but I did this step anyway, just to get rid of most of the air bubbles.
- Serve over pasta, steamed veggies, anything you like!
Makes about 4 cups. Enjoy!