Aug 28, 2015
Lemon Chia Poppyseed Cookies ~ Plant-based, oil-free and gluten-free!
It had been weeks—possibly even months— since I’d made anything resembling a dessert. Even though we’re pretty high in the mountains, it was still too warm for me to even consider turning the oven on. It sure has been one hot summer. And with our recent move and renovations, I was so physically active (a.k.a. sweating!) that all I ever wanted was fruit or a smoothie. Well, it’s finally cooled off to “normal” temps for these parts, dipping into the 50s at night. Yay! I say “yay” ’cause I get to bake up some yumminess again. You know how I love to bake… plus—big bonus—my new oven is the BOMB!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup potato starch
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 1 TBS poppy seeds
- ½ tsp baking soda
- zest of one organic lemon
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- 1 flax egg (1 TBS ground flax + 3 TBS water)
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw cashew butter
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix the flax with the water and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix all wet ingredients together, including the flax egg.
- Add wet to dry and mix well to combine. I used my hands to mush it all together. The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
- Roll dough into golf-ball sized portions and place on lined cookie sheet. Press each one down until they’re about ½” tall.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are just barely golden.
- Let cool completely before serving.