Aug 19, 2015
Lobster Mushroom Bisque ~ Plant-based and Amazing!
So I went to the Farmer’s Market this past weekend in search of Chicken of the Woods mushrooms. Sadly, there were none. But I found these…
- 10 oz. lobster mushroom
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kelp granules
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup cooking sherry or white wine
- chopped chives for garnish
- Soak the mushrooms in pure water for about 15 minutes, then gently wipe with a paper towel to remove any dirt particles. Discard any soggy or discolored portions. Cut into ½ inch slices.
- Water sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms until the onions are translucent.
- Add the paprika, thyme, kelp and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Add the wine and cook over medium heat to evaporate the alcohol (about 5 minutes).
- Blend the cashews with one cup of water in a high powered blender until smooth. Add the remaining water and blend again until smooth.
- Add this to the pot with the hot sauce and tomato paste.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered, to soften the mushrooms. The mixture will thicken a lot as it cooks. Add more water if you like, to reach your desired consistency.
- Serve with chopped chives and a twist of freshly ground black pepper.