Sep 27, 2015

Chipotle Copycat Sofritas! Plant-based and oil-free!

OMGoooood. That’s what this dish is. Flavor on top of flavor and it’s easy to make! Have you tried Chipotle’s Vegan Sofritas yet? Well, not to be a snob, but mine are better! 🙂

Mountain Man and I did an actual taste comparison… we took a Chipotle sample home and, side-by-side, let our taste buds have a party. No, we didn’t get the blindfolds out! Here’s the result: Chipotle’s were, of course, WAY TOO SALTY in comparison. The texture was different, maybe better… I’m not sure how they get their tofu to be chewy but that was nice. Mine is a lot softer. I also left my tofu a bit more chunky than theirs, which is supposedly “shredded” but, really, it’s just mashed up. Another difference is that I used red bell peppers in addition to green and that added a perfect touch of sweetness to compliment the heat. Overall, the flavor is very similar (if you can get past all the salt of Chipotle’s) but mine definitely tasted fresher and lighter (no oil!) and I really like the color of mine better, too. So there you have it. An honest to goodness taste testing with no bias involved (well, maybe a little).

I didn’t get fancy and roll my sofritas in a burrito or even make a taco. I just warmed up some corn chips and piled it on top, added some nacho sauce and—shut the cantina door! A Mexican dish to die LIVE for. You gotta try this!

• 15 oz extra firm tofu (one block, doesn’t have to be exact weight)
  • 1 large red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 large poblano pepper, diced
  • 1 medium sized sweet onion, diced
  • 3 TBS tomato paste (see recipe note below)
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 TBS smoked paprika (or ¼ tsp liquid smoke flavor)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1-2 tsp chipotle hot sauce (or any hot sauce you like and to taste)
  • juice of ½ lime
  • dash of salt (optional)

1. Squeeze as much water from your tofu as possible and cut into 1″ cubes.
  2. Water sauté the onion and peppers until soft.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine, adding a bit more water as needed to prevent sticking.
  4. Cook on low heat until everything is hot, breaking up the tofu a little (or a lot, your choice) as you go.
  5. Serve over corn chips or in a taco shell or however you like! I added some yumtastic, vegan nacho cheese sauce that I found a quick and easy recipe for from Jill at Simple Daily Recipes. Video here: VEGAN NACHO CHEESE SAUCE, OIL FREE (p.s. this recipe makes a TON of sauce, so cut it in half or share with your friends!)
This is the paste I use. You can find it as most
health food stores or online at
Serves 4. Enjoy!Healthy trails,

16 responses to “Chipotle Copycat Sofritas! Plant-based and oil-free!”

1. Anonymous says:

Looking forward to trying these, Helyn! You always change up recipes in the same ways I would, which makes me even more grateful that you put them out there. Thanks. P.S. Freezing the tofu, before or after seasoning, will make it more chewy. Jo-Anne

2. Carla Golden says:

Never thought to freeze tofu! In the package or after draining the water?

• Anonymous says:

Freeze in the package and then thaw when ready to use. Drain off liquid and then put in a Tofu Xpress, if you have one, to press out the moisture. Jeannie D.

3. michelle says:

I'm not a tofu expert. In fact I'm just learning to like it. But I keep hearing that freezing tofu makes it chewier. Idea?

4. I'll be experimenting with freezing the tofu and let you all know what I find! xo

5. Gira says:

I learned this technique from Isa Chandra Moskowitz in her Post Punk Kitchen.
    1. Freeze the tofu in the original packaging for at least 24 hours.
    2. Thaw the tofu COMPLETELY. This may take a couple of days in your fridge or a few hours on the counter.
    3. Drain the tofu and place it on a paper towel or kitchen towel. Place another kitchen towel on top. Then place a plate on top and weigh it down with a book or some canned foods but be careful it does not get knocked over. Press like this for at least an hour.
    4. Slice or crumble for your recipe! The freezing and pressing makes the tofu so much chewier! It will change your life!

6. Looks great, Helyn. I find Chipotle's version too spicy so this way I can make it more mild. 🙂

7. Alicia Bayer says:

I always freeze and press my tofu too. It makes such a difference. The other thing you can do is bake it for a time (chopped, sliced, crumbled or however it will work in your recipe) to make it chewier and less watery. I generally store my tofu in the freezer and then defrost in the fridge a day or two before use, and then I take the time to press and then marinade it. It does take extra time but it infuses the tofu with wonderful flavors that make it worth the trouble for me. 🙂 Pinning this recipe for sometime soon. Thanks!

8. Em says:

Made these- very good! I froze the tofu first and that made it even "meatier"- yum!