Sep 16, 2015
Figgy Fruit Pizza
NUTRIENT-DENSE PIZZA is not an oxymoron. Just how much nutrition can you fit into a slice of pizza anyway? A LOT when you use my buckwheat chia pizza crust and load the top with nutritional giants like figs and blackberries. One slice of this crust alone contains 7 grams of protein, 2,479 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids and only 180 calories. Of course, chia seeds are nature’s nutrient bombs. You can read more about them on my Happy Blueberry Chia Pudding post.
Now, about that “cheese” that’s bubbly and golden gracing the top of the pizza… how cool is that? Mozzarella cheese balls made from cashews. Yes, it can be done and it’s not very difficult either. Check out my post for Cashew Mozzarella Cheeze Balls for the recipe. You can easily make them ahead of time and store them in the fridge for future use. They will stay fresh for about 4 days.
- 1 recipe Buckwheat Chia Pizza Crust
- 6-8 figs, quartered
- about 8 cashew mozzarella cheese balls (recipe here)
- handful fresh blackberries
- one tomato of your preference, sliced horizontally
~ for the sauce
- 1 cup figs, quartered
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 recipe balsamic glaze
- some fresh basil leaves
- micro greens for a very artistic presentation and extra nutrients! (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped raw walnuts
- Follow the recipe instructions for the crust.
- Remove and layer on the sauce and the remaining ingredients, except the garnishes.
- Pop back in the oven on BROIL just until the cheese is golden and melty.
- Garnish and serve.