Sep 10, 2015
Pea-Tato Salad ~ Plant-based, Low-fat!
I don’t know why I never thought of this before. I’ve made potato salad using avocado in place of mayo and, yes, it was yummy but the problem I always had with it is that the avocado oxidizes pretty quickly, so if you don’t eat the salad all in one sitting, well, it’s really not fun eating gray, old avocado, so inevitably some would go to waste.
Sweet peas to the rescue! I happen to love peas and guess what? They stay green! And a lively, bright green they are, as you can see. This potato salad is so yummy for having no mayo, no oil and no avo. The peas add a wonderful sweetness and freshness. And (bonus!) they’re also very low in fat. I think it would be a great dish for St. Patrick’s day, too. But enjoy it any time. I am!
- 2 pounds potatoes, cubed and steamed until tender (I cut mine into about ¾ ” cubes)
~ for the pea sauce
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen and thawed sweet peas
- ½ cup water
- 1 TBS Spike salt-free seasoning (don’t skip this ingredient, it adds a lot of flavor)
- 1 TBS yellow mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
~ add ins (optional)
- ½ cup whole peas
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp chopped dill
- Blend together all pea sauce ingredients and toss with the potatoes.
- Mix in the green onion and dill if using and top with some peas.