Oct 15, 2015
Vegan No-Bake Almond Joy Bars!
Yeeeee-hah! THESE. ARE. SO. GOOD. If you don’t make any other desserty thing this holiday season, make these! Of course, you must be a lover of all things chocolate and coconut. Who isn’t?
Okay, so yeah, they do contain a smidgen of sugar because I used vegan dark chocolate for the ganache topping. But if you’re really industrious you could probably find a way to make the topping using cacao nibs and some other sweetener. I just didn’t have the time. I know some of you raw foodists out there make your own chocolate using cacao and coconut oil. I’m sure that would work for these…I’m not going to drone on and on about this amazingness (but I could!). Here is the recipe…
No-bake Almond Joy Bars
Because sometimes you just need a decadent treat.
~ for the crust
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup pitted medjool dates
- 2 TBS cocoa powder
- 2 TBS maple syrup (or agave)
~ for the filling
- 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup coconut cream*
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave
~ for the ganache topping
- 6 oz. dark vegan chocolate chips (or a bar, chopped up)
- ½ cup coconut cream*
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- handful of coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- handful of sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- *NOTE: You will need 2 cans of full fat coconut milk. Place the cans in the fridge for a couple of days (or longer). When you’re ready to make the recipe, invert the cans before opening and pour off the liquid, which will have separated from the cream and use just the cream for the filling and the ganache.
- Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor until well incorporated and until the mixture sticks together when pinched.
- Spoon into an 8×8, parchment-lined pan and press down to form an even crust layer (I used plastic wrap and a pizza roller which worked well).
- Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Spoon on top of the crust and smooth out to form an even layer. DON’T press it down too much. You want a light, fluffy center.
- To make the ganache, melt the chocolate with the coconut cream and almond extract over a double boiler, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Let the ganache cool a bit, then pour it over the top of your filling ingredients.
- Place the coconut flakes and sliced almonds in the oven at 350° F for about 15 minutes to toast and garnish with these.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving and store refrigerated.