Nov 05, 2015
Fall Harvest Pizza ~ Plant-based, Oil-free and Grain-free!
This lovely pie will delight you on so many levels. Unique and flavorful, it has a pumpkin sauce, vegan mozzarella cheese and my “almost famous” Amazing Buckwheat-Chia Pizza Crust! Beautiful to look at, easy to make, satisfying and delicious. Oh, and needless to say… NUTRITIOUS! A testament to its goodness? My honey (a.k.a. Mountain Man) and I ate the entire thing in one sitting. Yes, we did! I feel no shame.
Have you been baking or otherwise experimenting with pumpkin this year? It seems impossible to control—pumpkin gone wild. It’s all over the foodie blog world! You can’t stop us.
- one Amazing Buckwheat-Chia Pizza Crust (recipe here, which has been slightly modified from the original to make it a bit softer)
- 2 cups pumpkin purée + water to thin (see note)
- 1 small red beet, sliced and steamed or boiled
- 1 cup roasted and cubed butternut squash
- handful lightly steamed, chopped kale
- vegan mozzarella cheese balls, as many as you want (recipe here)
- ½ tsp fresh or dried, chopped oregano (really you can add whatever herbs and spices you prefer)
NOTE: all pumpkin purée is not created equal! Some are super thick while others, especially homemade versions, can be watery. Add as water if needed to create a thick, tomato sauce consistency resulting in about 2 cups.
- Create the crust, per the recipe instructions.
- Warm the pumpkin purée, thinning with a bit of water if needed. When I first made this pie, I added allspice to the purée and I was sorry I did. I love those fall, pumpkiny spices but even a small amount took over the beautifully sweet, subtle flavor of the pumpkin.
- Top the crust with the purée and the remaining ingredients and bake for about 20 more minutes. Switch to broil at the end for just a few minutes to create a golden, gooey cheezy top.
Serves ____? Fill in the blank! Like I said, we ate it all. Just us two.
|who will snatch the last piece??|