Jan 03, 2016
Stuffed Avo Scramble
Want a wonderfully light, yet satisfying breakfast? This is your boy. What I love about this breakfast meal is that 1) it’s easy, 2) it’s loaded with nutrients to get you through your day and 3) you can put it together in no time flat, especially if you make your tofu scramble filling the day (or night) before and then just warm it up. This recipe serves 2 (each with 1/2 avocado) and you will have plenty of extra scramble, which you can just pile high or serve alongside the avo’s. I suggest you use a room temperature avo for this recipe. If it’s cold, the scramble will get cold really fast and that’s not fun.
I ate my stuffed avo with a small salad (no dressing needed!) made with lettuce, red bell pepper, radishes, cucumber and green onion. It was just fantastic in both flavor and texture—smooth and creamy avo, soft and luscious scramble and crunchy fresh veggies! I sometimes just want a break from a heavier breakfast meal such as oatmeal or other grain, and here in our neck of the woods it’s getting pretty chilly, so lately I just can’t bring myself to drink a frozen smoothie in the morning. Brrr.
- 1 large Haas avocado
- 6 oz. firm tofu (1/2 package)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 TBS fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric (or 1 tsp freshly grated)
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak (see notes)
- Water sauté the onion and pepper until soft.
- Add remaining filling ingredients, breaking up the tofu with your hands.
- Stir well to combine and heat through.
- Set aside.
- Slice the avo in half and remove the pit.
- Top each avo half with 1/2 of the scramble and serve with a side of salad if you prefer.
- Kala Namak is a black Himalayan salt that has a sulpher smell (and taste) and is great to use for any kind of vegan egg dish, giving it a very authentic flavor. You can skip this ingredient if you like, but it really adds a special touch to the dish. You can find Kala Namak online and in my online store (link at the top of my page), titled "SHOP". Yes, I make a few pennies on purchases that are made from my online store. Thank you for your support!
- Here's a tip… if you want your avo's to sit flat, just slice a little piece off the bottom of each half so there is a flat spot on which they can rest.