Feb 05, 2016

3-ingredient Vegan Coconut Macaroons ~ with Aquafaba!

macaroons top

Wow! That’s what Mountain Man and I both exclaimed when we took our first bites of these phenomenal guys. So light and fluffy on the inside, crunchy-chewy on the outside. Perfectly sweet with that oh-so-yummy toasted coconut flavor bursting throughout. Divine! And only three ingredients. I’m sold and this will stay on my treat menu rotation.

I used to buy this canister of little macaroons in my local health food store. They also had very few ingredients, maybe it was only three! But they used egg whites and honey in theirs. Egg whites? We don’t need them now that we have… cue fanfare music–AQUAFABA! Yay for chickpea broth! I’m still learning to use it but so far it’s a no-brainer. And instead of honey I used brown rice syrup. MUCH lower on the glycemic index scale and vegan, of course.

Give these a whirl. Easy peasy.

Health trails,

Helyn-Signature6

macaroons 1

macaroons 3

Vegan Aquafaba Macaroons

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Yield: 14

Ingredients

• 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • ½ cup aquafaba
  • ½ cup brown rice syrup

Method

1. Preheat oven to 325°.
  2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Whisk the aquafaba until frothy (it doesn't need to be stiff with peaks!)
  4. Add the aquafaba and the syrup to the coconut and mix well to combine.
  5. Drop balls about 2" in diameter onto the parchment paper. I used a small ice cream scoop which worked well. The mixture is very loose. Just push them together if some of the balls fall apart a little. Don't worry they will hold together fine after baking.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave in for another 10-15 minutes until lightly golden brown on top and golden brown on the bottom.

Notes

You may want to make a double batch. They will disappear fast!

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Zip Recipes Plugin

12 responses to “3-ingredient Vegan Coconut Macaroons ~ with Aquafaba!”

1. Daria says:

Great recipe! Can I use maple syrup or coconut nectar instead of rice syrup?

Either of those should work, Daria, though I haven’t tried them myself. The rice syrup is very thick and sticky (like honey) which is a good thing. I think the coconut nectar may work better because of its thickness. Please let me know if you use either of the above and how they turn out for you. Also, they will be darker in color with the subs you mention. Enjoy!!

2. Linda says:

I see a lot of recipes for aquafaba but I can’t figure out where everyone gets the amounts needed for recipes. You won’t get that much from canned beans and if I cook them myself to get those amounts I have beans to feed the world.

Linda, you bring up a great point! I made some chickpeas last week with a few aquafaba recipes in mind and so I just used a little extra water to cook the beans. The bean juice (aquafaba) was still perfect for the recipes! Hope this helps.

3. Devora says:

Hi, Helyn. Glad to see you are experimenting with aquafaba. Thanks for the tip about making your own aquafaba. I thought I would be stuck buying canned chickpeas.

As a tip for those using canned beans, I drain the liquid from the can directly into an ice-cube tray and then transfer the cubes to a freezer bag.

You are my vegan guru! I bought an InstantPot, and I LOVE it! So far, I’ve made 2 lbs of refried beans (froze half) and a yummy tomato-based soup.

4. Julie says:

for the vegan macarons – do you just whisk with a regular whisk or should I use a mixer on the aquafaba?

5. Julie says:

Thanks Helyn! I will try this tonight and your new cheez sauce tomorrow. Appreciate all of your recipes!

6. Cathy says:

I just made these with maple syrup and they look and taste delicious! I gently boiled my aquafaba until it was reduced by half and then measured a 1/2 cup of it. With just three ingredients, I wasn’t too optimistic, but oh they are so yummy! Thank you for this delightful recipe.