Mar 02, 2016

Vegan (Tofu) Cottage Cheeze

vegan cottage cheese

Hello, stranger! Yes, it has been a while. Too long. We had company visiting AND I was finishing up (yes, I finished!) my nutritional studies program. I am now certified in plant-based nutrition through Dr. Campbell’s amazing course at eCornell University. Yay!!! I can’t tell you how excited I am to have this certification under my belt because it means that I will be able to help more people on their plant-based journeys to health. Much was realized during the course of study and this learning has fueled my ever-present, insatiable desire to know even more about health and nutrition. So onward I continue towards more eduction.

In the meantime, I will still be posting plant-based recipes for you, yes indeed, and probably with more articles about evidence-based nutrition along the way. 🙂 Expect more low-fat and raw food recipes with a greater emphasis on whole foods. Sorry, there won’t be as many recipes for heavy, baked goods with refined flours but, hey, I have a TON of those on this site already!

Today’s recipe is so, so easy. If you were ever a fan of cottage cheese (my hand would be raised if I weren’t typing!), you will love this. My dad, rest his beautiful soul, loved cottage cheese and I learned to enjoy it as he did, on a slice of toast, open-faced, with gobs of black pepper. Yeah. That’s how we rolled back then. And THIS plant-based version is dairy-free of course, looks, tastes and has almost an identical consistency to what we used to enjoy. This one’s for you, Daddy! ?

vegan cottage cheese 2

P.S. I recently got my first tattoo!!! It is a Sanskrit word, ahimsa, which loosely means “do no harm to any living creature.” There’s a lot more to the definition than that. It has a deeper, spiritual meaning and is something I strive towards. My birthday is tomorrow and this is a present to myself for turning SIXTY and being in perfect health. My tattoo is completely healed in only 10 days! The power of plant-based eating, y’all!!!

helyn tat

Helyn Signature

20 responses to “Vegan (Tofu) Cottage Cheeze”

1. Hi Helyn,

sounds great I too was a big cottage cheese lover! Thanks for sharing this! Love the tatoo!

love,

Linda

2. JCB says:

Congratulations on your certification! Ahimsa is my goal in life, also. Thank you for sharing your delectable recipes that make the journey so enjoyable.

3. Anne-Marie says:

Hi Helyn, Congratulations on your certification, tattoo and…. your birthday…. SIXTY! Wow, you look fabulous and radiant! Have a wonderful birthday and a happy new year!

4. Sharon says:

This sounds so good and so easy. I can’t wait to try it.
    Congratulations on your certification, and on your beautiful tattoo!

5. Paula says:

I am so excited to hear you will be posting more whole raw recipes. BTW you look great for 60!!! Happy birthday.

6. Cindi says:

We always loved cottage cheese with canned fruit (pears and peaches especially) but have had to forego that since being vegan. Do you think this recipe would work for that? I always think of tofu as being more for savory use. I can’t believe it would have the flavor. What a chicken I am! I just need to try it…

7. Carla Golden says:

I used to love putting black pepper on cottage cheese too! Now I can again thanks to your recipe! xo

8. Phoebe says:

Congrats on finishing your certificate and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (Your tattoo is awesome!!!) I’ll definitely be saving this recipe to try soon! Looks great!

9. Janet GLESSNER says:

Hi Helyn:
    Congratulations on earning your certificate and I like your tattoo! Happy belated birthday and I must say you look wonderful!!
    I recently had knee surgery, but as soon as I am moving around better I am going to make the tofu cottage cheese and I love black pepper!
    Peace and happiness,
    Janet

Hi Janet! Thanks for your kind words. Wishing you a speedy recovery which I’m sure it will be with the power of plant-based eating! Enjoy the “cheese”
      xo

10. Brian says:

Hello, how many servings is recipe meant to yield?