Jun 17, 2016
Raw Vegan Carrot Cake ~ oil-free, gluten-free
I’ve had my share of raw desserts and I’ve made quite a few, too. But THIS one is to
die live for! It has just the right sweetness, a little tartness from the cashew cream cheese frosting and a perfect touch of traditional carrot cake spices. It’s pretty easy to put together, too.
Well, maybe I cheated a little because I already had some cashew cream cheese in my fridge so that saved me some time. But the cake part took about 10 minutes, with no drying, freezing or other set up time needed. Yay! If you don’t have any cashew cream cheese on hand or simply wish to make the frosting without culturing it, I have included an option for that in the recipe box below. To access my recipe for homemade, cultured cashew cream cheese visit my post here.
Bring this baby to a raw potluck or serve it to guests after dinner. You’ll be a star!
Raw Carrot Cake ~ Vegan, Gluten-free and Oil-free!
A dense, moist and flavorful raw option to a classic dessert!
~ for the cake
- 1 cup shredded carrot (about one large carrot)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup finely chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 TBS ground flax + 2 TBS water
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- scant ¼ tsp ground clove
~ for the icing
- 1 cup cashew cream cheese mixed with 2 TBS sweetener of your choice plus a touch of vanilla. See recipe for CASHEW CREAM CHEESE HERE
OR to make a quick cashew cream cheese you will need:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 5 hours, drained and rinsed
- 2 TBS sweetener of your choice (I used coconut nectar)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of vanilla powder or a few drops vanilla extract
- chopped walnuts
- orange zest
- organic marigold flowers (optional)
- Mix the flax meal with the water and set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a food processor along with the flax mixture and pulse to combine, taking care not to over-mix.
- Line the bottom of a 6" springform pan with parchment or wax paper and press in the dough evenly and tightly. Release the spring and transfer to a plate. Alternatively, if you don't have such a pan, you can just shape it into a 6" disk; it's very easy to work with and will hold its shape well.
- Top with the sweetened cream cheese and decorate however you wish.
Method for the quick topping:
- Place your soaked cashews into a high-powered blender and add just a bit of water (1/4 cup max). Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as you go. Add the vanilla and sweetener of your choice and blend again until smooth.