Aug 09, 2016

Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles ~ plant-based, oil-free!

thai peanut cabbage noodles

Oh, yum!!! Are you a fan of Thai food? This different take on Pad Thai is spicy, slightly sweet, creamy and loaded with fabulous Thai flavors. I used cabbage to make noodles instead of using traditional rice noodles and made the sauce from scratch. Thanks to my bff, Lynda, for the idea! She made it for a recent potluck and—you know me—I just had to make it for myself. Mountain Man calls it the “cruciferous version of Pad Thai.” Ha! We both found it to be wholesome, nourishing and very satisfying!

This Asian yumminess gets its full flavor from the peanut butter and the coconut milk. By the way, I found a REALLY good light coconut milk over at Trader Joe’s. No fillers, stabilizers or thickeners. Yes, please. Thank you. Be sure to use a good peanut butter without added salt, sugar and oil.

Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we have!

Helyn-Signature

Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles 1

Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles 2

Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles 3

Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles 4

Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles 7

Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles 6

8 responses to “Thai Peanut Cabbage Noodles ~ plant-based, oil-free!”

1. Bethery says:

I’d bet it would also be good with the cabbage raw, as a salad.

Funny enough, we had the leftovers today as a cold salad. It was wonderful, though the cabbage did leak a lot more of its water so the sauce was a little watered down. Still yummy though! 🙂

2. debbie says:

Hi Helyn,
    This sounds delicious. I am always looking for cabbage recipes as cabbage seems to be a veggie that we frequently receive in our CSA box.
    What kind of chili powder are you using? Is it the generic kind with a few ingredients or a specific chili powder like ancho or cayenne.
    thanks so much

Hi Debbie,
      I use a Kashmiri red pepper which is so good. It’s the only one I ever use anymore. It’s particularly good in Indian dishes. Has a deep, round heat and a beautiful bright red color. Here is a link to it in my Amazon store: KASHMIRILAL Thanks for your feedback and enjoy! 🙂

3. AJ says:

Thanks for this recipe! I made it last week and our whole family loved it! We made Happy Herbivore’s Thai Crunch Salad sometimes and it is a huge favorite. This has most of the same flavors but its a lot easier and cheaper to make! And hot obviously lol. I added edamame and that was very nice. Next time I think I’ll cook the “noodles” in the pressure cooker and see how it goes. There isn’t quite enough room in my big skillet for the cabbage to get turned enough, but it should work in the instant pot. Thanks again! This will be in our rotation from now on!

4. Kim jackson says:

Just found your web page and super excited. Thank you so much for sharing all of your wonderful recipes. For this recipe in particular will you please suggest some different types of vinegar? Also is the coriander powder essential?

Hi Kim! I’m glad you are seeing some recipes to your liking. 🙂 You can use any light vinegar you like in this, or lemon juice would work too. No, the coriander powder is not essential at all. You can leave it out. Enjoy! xx