Oct 25, 2016
Hash Brown Haystacks ~ Oil-free!
Think you need a ton of oil to cook hash browns? Heck no. You don’t need ANY! Not with these cute little haystacks you don’t. I’ve been wanting to make these for months! Easy to make and so much fun to eat. They will definitely be on my regular meal rotation plan for breakfast now. Especially as the cool weather continues to grace us with its invigorating freshness… I don’t know about you but I just love turning my oven on in the fall and winter. Any excuse to bake something!
These guys are filled with yummy, crispy crunch in every bite. Go ahead. Bake some spuds.
Hash Brown Haystacks ~ Vegan & Oil-free
Yummy, crispy potato stacks for a special brunch or breakfast!
I don't use salt. If you do, you can simply add about ¼ tsp to the mix before you shape your stacks. Enjoy!
- 1 large potato, shredded (about 1.5 cups) - I used a russet potato
- 1 TBS arrowroot powder (you can sub with tapioca starch or potato starch)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- SEE NOTES
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Shred the potato using a hand-held grater or use a food processor.
- RINSE well and squeeze as much water from the shreds as possible. This is a very important step unless you want soggy stacks!
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Portion onto a parchment lined baking sheet into 6 equal sized stacks. Build them a little tall and DON'T press them down. You want air to be able to circulate through to cook them properly. Just shape them lightly into stacks.
- Bake for 30 minutes.