Jan 02, 2017
Gluten-free, Oil-free, Vegan Corn Muffins!
Yes, yes, yes! I finally nailed it. Do you know how long I’ve been working on a recipe for corn muffins that don’t: fall apart, taste like chalk, are too crumbly, are dry, are too hard…. ? And on, and on. Well, a really long time actually. I lost count of the years!!! Baking without using oil and wheat is a definite challenge and I’ve mastered it pretty well. But corn muffins/corn bread is another story. Until now. These guys have a great “crumb.” That’s a baking term that means the texture is nice. 🙂 They’re moist and have the prefect sweetness. I brought these to a New Year’s Day party and they were a hit! They paired perfectly with the collards and black eyed peas.
Speaking of the New Year, what are your plans? I have many. Mostly it will be about nurturing higher states of consciousness. I will also be focusing more on my writing. Screenwriting in particular. I’m excited!
Happy New Year!
Gluten-free, Oil-free Corn Muffins
A great addition to the dinner table! Great with a hot bowl of chili!
- 2/3 cup corn meal
- 2/3 cup corn flour (masa)
- 2/3 cup buckwheat flour (I use organic light buckwheat flour which you can find on Amazon)
- 3 TBS minimally processed, granulated sweetener of your choice (I used coconut sugar)
- 3 TBS tapioca starch
- 1 TBS baking powder
- pinch sea salt (optional)
- 1½ cups unsweetened, plant-based milk (I used soy)
- ¼ cup + 2 TBS raw cashew butter
- 1 TBS ground flax + 3 TBS water
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Lightly oil a 12-count muffin tin (or use cupcake papers)
- Combine the ground flax with the water and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the milk with the cashew butter and mix well (I used a mini blender for this but you can do it by hand. Just make sure it is well mixed). Add the flax mixture and stir.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Scoop batter into the muffin tin. Using an ice cream scoop makes the job easier. Fill almost to the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!