Sep 27, 2018

Classic Carrot Cake ~ grain-free, oil-free and plant-based!

Wow! I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that I finally, finally, FINALLY nailed this recipe. I feel like calling this “Carrot Cake: Take 3,455” … because that’s how many trials and errors I seem to have endured. I have posted a raw carrot cake recipe, and that one was wonderful in its own right, but it’s simply not the same as a genuine, classic carrot cake.

I’m all about texture when creating baked goods, and it just wasn’t happening. Carrot cakes usually call for TONS of oil. That’s probably why I had such a hard time. But I finally did it. A prefect crumb, not too dense, not too sticky, not heavy at all and NO OIL. Yay! And the timing couldn’t have been better since I was asked to bake this wonderful dessert for a dear friend’s birthday.

One of the most important factors in getting that rise and texture just right is the particle size of the dry ingredients, so make sure to chop the walnuts pretty small and use the finest grater setting for your carrots. In keeping with that particle size, I also opted for currants instead of raisins, but raisins would be fine, too.

So here it is! What may arguably be the perfect, plant-based, oil-free carrot cake.

19 responses to “Classic Carrot Cake ~ grain-free, oil-free and plant-based!”

1. Jan-Marie says:

Helyn ~
    That cake is just absolutely gorgeous! You nailed the perfect sponginess and it looks perfect. Do you think you could make it into cupcakes. That’s a lot of cake for just me 🙂

Hi, Jan-Marie! Yes, absolutely you can make cupcakes with this recipe, just decrease the baking time to about 20 minutes. Not sure how many it will make, but most likely a dozen. Enjoy!! <3

2. Jan-Marie says:

Excellent! Thank you.

3. Poppy says:

Looks marvelous! Do you think homemade buckwheat flour, ground from raw hulled groats would work? Aloha

That’s an interesting idea, Poppy! I’ve never tried it but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Let me know if you do this and the result please.

4. Looks amazing! Can’t wait to bake it… Thank you!

5. Jen says:

This looks so good! I can’t wait to make it :).

6. Lois says:

I’m not much of a baker but carrot cake is my husband’s favorite. Can I just put this into a 9 x 13 pan, and if so, would it bake at the same amout of time?

7. Hope Green says:

am ordering the flour today… so excited- 45 yrs ago I made my first carrot cake in an angel food cake pan from the recipe on the 5#sugar bag- OMG thought I had died and gone to heaven… snagged a slice every time I went past the cake- in 2 days I ate half the cake!!! being only 19 at the time it didn’t hurt me- but I never again made one unless there was a reason to share… have loved carrot cake ever since… I AM SO EXCITED!!!

8. Curt says:

Helyn, thank you for the 3455 takes on perfecting this cake! My wife and I made it yesterday and it is the best carrot cake ever! I added too much water when making the frosting, but it was still fantastic! Thank you so much!

Curt

You’re so welcome, Curt! I’m happy that you like it!!! Another option you may want to try next time for the frosting is to use my cultured cashew cream cheese recipe (with a little sweetener added at the end)… it’s more work and time to do of course, but it really adds another note of authenticity and yumminess to the cake. xx

Cultured Cashew Cream Cheese

9. Lois says:

Thanks for taking the time to answer me!

10. curt says:

Thanks, Helyn!

11. Crystal says:

If it’s Thanksgiving, it’s the perfect day for Helyn’s recipes and this carrot cake was THE hit at my family gathering today. My entire family loved this carrot cake! It is soooo flavorful and moist. My family has a strong genetic disposition for heart disease so our whole meal was vegan, no oil, no dairy and featured several other recipes from this website (Thanksgiving Lentil Loaf is fabulous too!). Thank you for your work to refine these recipes to be such high quality for special gatherings. Other desserts that were not compliant with our diet were available but the preference was for this carrot cake! Also, I used whole wheat flour instead of the light buckwheat; that was the only variation I made.

Crystal, thank you so very much for your feedback on this recipe! It’s great to know that your family enjoyed it. Happy Holidays to you and yours!! xoxo