Jun 25, 2019
Banana Bread Pancakes ~ plant based and oil-free!
Yep, we love banana bread in our house… and we love pancakes, too! So I thought, why not combine the two? Yes! These babies are so yummy, I promise you won’t have any leftovers. 🙂 I know I will get asked so no, I have not tried them with gluten-free flours. I used organic spelt flour for these. For some reason spelt does not affect me in the same way as regular wheat. I’m not gluten-intolerant but I find that if I eat too much wheat, especially more processed wheat like pasta, I do get bloated and feel uncomfortable. But not so with spelt, so there you go. You could also use whole wheat flour for this recipe.
These wonders are so soft and packed with flavor! The natural sweetness from the banana is a plus. And the little crunches of walnut add a dose of omega-3 goodness.
You will need a blender for this recipe and it really makes things so easy. Enjoy!
Banana Bread Pancakes
A deliciously health breakfast treat!
I used a non-stick skillet for these, which really is best since there is no oil. If you need to, you could use a little spray oil, sparingly, so they don't stick.
- 3 ripe (not over ripe) medium sized bananas
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I used soy)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts plus a little extra for garnishing later
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 flax egg (1 TBS ground flax + 3 TBS water)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Combine the ground flax with the water and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Place all ingredients into a blender (EXCEPT for two of the bananas, the flax egg and the walnuts) and blend until smooth.
- Chop the second banana and add to the blender with the walnuts and the flax egg. Pulse just a few times until combined.
- Drop by ¼ cupfuls onto a non-stick skillet (see note).
- Flip when the edges are firm and you see some bubbles and cook until golden brown.
- Garnish with some extra chopped walnuts and the remaining banana, sliced.